Tantrums, Meltdowns and Outbursts At Every AgeMar 17, 2022
Follow the show
In this episode, I'm talking all about tantrums, meltdowns and outbursts (at every age)!
I call these Big Feeling Cycles.
By the end of this episode you will know why they happen, and how to handle them without losing your mind.
Typical parenting strategies that focus on stopping the behavior don’t address the root of the problem. Lectures, timeouts, taking away privileges, etc., don’t give your kid the actual tools and skills they need to process their emotions.
The strategies you learn today will bring better connection in your relationship with your kid AND give your kid better tools to manage their emotions.
Managing a BIG FEELING CYCLE means drawing attention to the emotion that might be triggering that behavior.
Your job is not to FIX anything. Nothing has gone wrong. Your job is to be a compassionate witness.
Listen to the full episode to learn shifts and strategies you can use to support your child through their feelings - and help those Big Feeling Cycles run their course more quickly.
- When and why Big Feeling Cycles happen
- Why they can be so hard to handle as a parent
- How to use “The Hard No” to keep everyone safe when behavior is really out of bounds
- A simple thought to help you ride out the next Big Feeling Cycle
- How to find clues inside a Big Feeling Cycle so that your child can move through the next one faster