Pause & Reset Your EmotionsMar 30, 2022
Follow the show
Today we are talking about something that might not seem related to parenting. Your feelings. Specifically, how to pause & reset your emotions.
One of the goals of Calm Mama Parenting is practicing compassion with your kids and teaching them what to do with their feelings. But first, of course, you have to know what to do with yours!
I define Emotional Literacy as:
- You know what you’re feeling
- You know how to talk about those feelings
- You know what to do with those feelings
Most adults have no idea what to do with fear, sadness or anger. They stuff the feelings down and bury them under scrolling, binge watching, glasses of wine and gossip.
The most important thing you can do as a mom is process and manage your own emotions.
Because the more emotionally literate you are, the more emotionally literate your children will become.
And if you teach your kids what to do with their feelings, then when they grow up they won’t have to do destructive things with their feelings (like drugs, porn, over eating, over working, excessive shopping, over dieting, etc).
I think of this as healing the next generation in advance.
In this episode, I’ll walk you through what is really going on behind your feelings, a simple process to work through negative emotions and a personal example of what this looks like in real life.
- The 2 emotions I see parents struggle with the most
- What happens when you “stuff” your feelings down (and clues to look for when you’re doing it)
- 3 simple steps to process a negative emotion so you can move through it
Connect with Me:
- Follow me on Instagram @darlynnchildress or Facebook @calmmamacoaching
- Learn more about working with Darlynn
- Book a call
Also mentioned in this episode:
The Stop Yelling Masterclass is my free course that walks you through a lot of what I’m teaching in this episode.
It’s all the things you need to know in order to change how you show up as a mom so you can stop yelling.
Get the Stop Yelling free course and the workbook right now at www.calmmamacoaching.com.
Get the Stop Yelling Cheat Sheet
One simple tool to stop yelling at your kids, so you finally feel calmer and connect better.